Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Day I was De-Livered

One year ago today, Sept 20th, I went in for my operation to remove my cancer. The prep for it, which I did the day before, really sucked. I don't know if anyone has had the pleasure of a colonoscopy, but I basically had to do the same thing as if I was having one of those. They give you this stuff to drink that tastes horrible, then after a few hours you pretty much evacuate everything you've eaten since the fourth grade if you know what I mean. Then you have to starve yourself for about 24 hours. The day of the operation I was real quiet at home. I was scheduled for a 5 pm start time with a 2 o'clock arrival. I went with my wife and my brother. They were talking, I was not saying much. I think they were trying to take my mind off of things but I remember being very focused. Last year it fell on a Monday. I had kayaked for 81 consecutive days (even through 6 months of chemo) and stopped on Saturday. I spent my whole summer preparing physically and mentally for this day. I also spent almost every night getting drunk. I had gotten so drunk one night (the night I told Dana about that woman at work) that I fell backwards into the bathtub when I was taking a leak and took down the shower curtain. I had never been a fall down drunk, I was always the funny, happy drunk. Dana was concerned because I was getting pretty hammered every night. I had a coffee and Kaluha the other week and 1/4 of a beer the other night, otherwise I haven't been allowed to drink. I miss it and I don't. Anyway, I'm getting side tracked here (so much for my focus anymore). I remember having to say goodbye to Dana and Larry and having to get into hospital garb. I insisted on bringing my spare eyeglasses because I can't see well at all without them and I wanted to know what was going on before they put me under. They gave me a little bit of a hard time, but they let me wear them. I had to take off my wedding ring too, that sucked because I've worn it for almost 16 years at the time. I also had to take off my necklace with a celtic cross that I've had for many years and my LiveStrong bracelet that I've worn since getting cancer. They wheeled me in a wheelchair and I got to see Dana and Larry again before they brought me through the doors and toward the O.R. I told them I'd see them later...It was almost 5 pm. I remember going into the operating room. It was real cold, I didn't mind. I guess they don't want the doctors dripping sweat into you. They covered me with this air blanket that had hot air blowing into it. I remember thinking how Dana would love one of these, she's often cold while I have shorts and a T-shirt on. It was kind of interesting in there, I never had major surgery before. There were many people in there and they all have masks on (to protect their identities). I was making small talk with many of them. I remember the room was rather old looking too. Not spotless like I thought it would be. It was a little after 5 when the surgeons came in. I had one for the liver resection and pump installation and one for the colon resection. The operation lasted until 2 am - 8 hours long. I vaguely remember seeing Dana and Larry in the post op room. After seeing them, I remember checking to see if I had a coloscopy bag, I didn't. They left my asshole where it was. I was thrilled. Going in to this I didn't know if they would give me a temporary bag, a permanant one, or leave things as they were. They wound up taking out 60% of my liver, my gallbladder, some lymph nodes, a section of my lower intestine (8 inches or so) and they installed a hepatic pump under my skin. I woke up again at about 10 am. They were on my case to start walking already. I have a scar that goes from just under my sternum to an inch or two above my navel, then it goes to the right for about 8-9 inches. I have another scar to the left where they put the pump in. That is about 5 inches long. The pump is like the size of a hockey puck. I'm used to it now. I also have a scar that runs from my navel, south to right above my 'whatchamacallit'. I felt like I was thrown down a flight of stairs. I did not prepare for all of the pain I would experience. The next 16 days in the hospital were real rough. I didn't eat for about 2 weeks, I was allowed only limited ice chips for liquid. Everything else was done by IV. The pain from the surgery was incredible (I'm still feeling the pain) and I had to try to walk everyday. It hurt so much. It took me forever to do anything. I remember the World Series was on so I watched some of that, the presidential debates were on so I watched some of those and Mt St Helens was erupting so I was trying to get inspiration to either pass wind (which was a prerequisite to leaving the hospital - funny, I'm usually asked NOT to do that) or to have a BM (I hate that term). Anyway, this is going on and on. The nurses were great, I met some cool folks. I had like 4 roommates. There is a funny story about one of them that I will post at a later date. I finally went home after 16 days. As soon as I got home, I threw up. It felt good to do it at home. It seems like yesterday, it seems like forever ago...I'm glad I'm Blogging ;-)

7 comments:

Phil said...

Just a little note to everyone. I'm feeling very good today even with the stomach cramps starting. It's been a positive day. I wore all black to symbolize the death of the cancer. Tomorrow I will where all white to symbolize a new beginning.

Chloe said...

I'm glad you're blogging too! And scars are very cool.

Monkey said...

Thank you for sharing this experience with us Phil. So often when people have cancer in our real lives, we are afraid to ask the mundane questions, like "what did they remove?" and "what was it like in the hospital?"

Count me as another primate that is glad you are blogging.

Calvin said...

Man, you have been through alot.But you seem to be taking it in stride! Get better! And yes I hate the term BM also :)

Wendy said...

great story Phil, thank you for sharing it with us. I'm learning a lot reading here.

*Monica said...

I too hate the term BM. It sounds like a car waiting to happen. I am so glad this part is far behind you. Hugs,

SquirrleyMojo said...

You say this goes on and on--but I was really into your writing, your discrptions--and this from a writing teacher with gazzillions of papers to grade this weekend!

Post a Comment