Wednesday, August 10, 2005

New York New York, a Wonderful Town...

Okay, it's NYC day! I got up REAL early today (4:15 am) and was able to be at SK by 7 am. Hopefully it will be an early in, early out deal. By early out, I hope to be home by 2-3 pm. All I have to do is get pumped up with chemicals (chemotherapy - chemical therapy). Actually, one of the drugs is not considered chemo (Erbitux) but is actually a drug that targets a certain aspect of the cancer. If I didn't have chemo brain, I might remember what that actually means, but the point is that it does not just go in there and kill everything like most chemo does. It attacks something that is unique to the cancer. One drug I 'did' was Avastin and the thing that it did was to stop or slow down the growth of new capilaries. Tumors need blood (food) to survive. The theory is that if you can starve the tumor, it will shrink. It did do that for the spots in my liver. So there you go, Chemo 101.

The past few days have been a major period of extreme mind-fu*k for me. I can't believe all of the stuff that my brain conjures up. Most of it not especially good either. Those who 'know' me get the inside scoop on my highs and lows. You others could probably tell by reading all of my posts (something to do if your TOO happy). My mind always was great at playing tricks on my anyway, but the combo of medication I take on a daily basis just to get through a normal day, on top of all of the chemo I've taken over 18 months (today is treatment #29) has made me quite the basket case at times. I do a fairly good job of pretending I'm normal, I am able to function at work, function at home and socialize with people (although this rash I have has made me real self-conscious, I'll not go to meetings or just hide in my cubicle most of the day). I see how emotionally fragile I have become. I used to be someone who hid all of my emotions inside, now I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve and it has gotten me in trouble a few times. I should save all of my 'stuff' for my shrink's couch. I would have thought that I would have learned my lesson after last year's experience, which STILL haunts me. I wonder sometimes if having this 'bummer blog' as I like to refer to it as, is a good idea or not. I think I will keep it because I have an outlet for myself. Thinking back, I can't believe I've been dealing with this since Feb 25th, 2004. It seems like an eternity, I almost can't remember life before cancer..

I plan on updating my story while I wait to get treatment. By the way, my vitals are fine, as usual. BP 128/77 HR 80 good blood counts too.

7 comments:

Phil said...

Well Mr. ceiling fan bulbs, I'm sooo fucking glad you stopped by. I mean, I'm here ready to get pumped full of toxic crap and you were nice enough to stop by to offer me a ceiling fan. I sure hope I get the chemo-discount.
And I'm so glad that the government cares about the Arizona law that denies some public benefits to illegal immigrants. I had to fight my fucking ass off to get my god-damn insurance company to pay for an FDfuckin'A approved drug that might save my legal citizen ass.

It's nice to know you care... ;-)

mr. schprock said...

Hey, Phil, definitely keep this blog going. People who care find this very interesting reading. I have to believe that, on the whole, it's doing you some good.

Now on to check out some ceiling fan news!

dot said...

I agree with Schprock. Keep going with the blogging. We're thinking of you Phil.

Phil said...

mr. schprock.
I had/have colon cancer.
Do you have to say "on the whole"?

just kidding...
I will continue, I'm just moody today.
You all help me a lot...thanks ;-)

SquirrleyMojo said...

LMAO, phil, you cranky b*st*rd! I'm half afraid to type anything and half giddy over what you might quip back! I love it--love it when the nice-niceness drops and real feelings emerge . . . like in your pic above--there is a whole iceberg of phil beneath the surface, and you know what? he ain't all that bad--just in a whole lot of pain and hurting inside and out, all the while trying to be a nice guy to everyone else--when screaming and stamping would be just as appropriate & logical!

don't you dare give up this blog. :-)

SquirrleyMojo said...

LMAO AGAIN!

I went to the site to screm out and all of you had already visted! How witty! Advertising BETTER FANS on their site!

I LOVE it! What fun you are!!!

SquirrleyMojo said...

I hope the stomach cramps don't last as long this time. You are way too much fun to be put out of commission for 5 days!

Post a Comment