Wednesday, August 17, 2005

My Visit to NYC and Sloan Kettering

Today I wanted to try to do a photographic journal of my trip into NYC. I started the day by waking up at 4:30, but I didn't drag my ass out of bed until almost 5 am.









I could not believe the price of gas by us. It's actually about .25 more expensive in NY State, so I try to fill up in NJ.
Can you imagine, $2.53.9 for 1 gallon of gas.
I almost spit out my $4.00 12 oz. cup of Starbucks coffee!












I really felt like having some melons for breakfast, but as luck would have it, my favorite breakfast nook was not open yet. Darn!












So off I went into New York City. Crossing the George Washington Bridge is not too bad if you can make it there by about 6:30 or so.









Just my luck, a car had overturned on the Westside Highway (Henry Hudson Highway) so I had to take the back streets. Broadway down to Westend, and then to 66th street where I park.
Moments later, the Number 57 bus came by. This is great because it picks me up right in front of where I park, then it takes me over to the eastside to 57th st. The facility I got to is on 53rd street.












After I got off at 57th and Lexington, I walked down to 53rd. On 54th street, there is this cool church of some kind. I don't know what denomination it is, but it is a really cool looking place. It looks Greek to me!












Right down the middle of the avenue is the Chrysler Building, one of the coolest in the city. I've never been in it, I hope to someday.












After I checked in the SK, I usually go hit the bathroom, but I thought I didn't have to document that! then I go and stake my claim to one of the two computers they have there. I usually check email and update my Blog. Wow, what a cool looking blog that is on the screen. What a talented designer that person is!












Then after a few minutes, you get a call to have your 'vitals' checked. Weight, blood pressure, and a CBC (Complete Blood Count) taken. This is Barbara, one of the nurses that works in this part of the office. She's real nice. She was very happy I was going to take her picture.









After a relatively short amount of time, maybe one hour, I was called to go in and get my treatment. Today it is only the Erbitux. I found out that this drug is similar to Avastin, which cuts down the growth of new blood vessels so it starves tumors. But there is also an added special feature. It has more mouse antibodies in it! That may explain my cravings for cheese and Tom and Jerry cartoons lately. The nurse I had for the chemo today was Stacy. I've had her before, she's real nice. They really are all very nice. It takes a special type of person to be a nurse I believe, especially a cancer nurse.









She had no problem with me taking the picture, but she did explain that is really not allowed. She then got my meds ready and stuck me in my port (located in my upper chest) with the needle and got the Erbitux ready. She hooked me up and then I asked her to take my picture.









I get the Erbitux and also some sodium chloride (?). When I only get the one infusion, it just takes about an hour. When I get both (next week) it takes about 2+ hours. They really have some great plants in these little areas. They also have a TV, but I never watch it, I usually just take a nap.












Inside of the lobby area, there is a very cool Chinese looking backdrop with a waterfall and silouettes of trees. I went to take a picture and the security guy came running over and started asking me if I was a patient there and that I'm not allowed to take pictures. I didn't argue and just beat feet so he would not erase all of my shots. Here is a picture of the front of the facility. The awning is heated in the wintertime.









So when I got out, I stopped at this great little cafe and got an egg, cheese and ham on an english muffin and sat outside and ate.









I then started my journey back to my car. Usually, I would take the #57 bus back to the garage, but since today was gorgeous in the city, plus I wanted to take some pictures, I decided to walk. Here's a shot of the CitiCorp building. This happens to be a target for the terrorists, so it is usually well guarded.












Being somewhat of a botonist, I couldn't help but notice this
rare tree. Oh yes, there was also a 30 ft tall statue of a naked woman.












This fountain is in front of the Plaza Hotel at the bottom of Central Park. It's a real nice place to hang out. They are currently renovating the Plaza and making some rooms into condos. My brother told me a story a few months ago that when he was about 18 or so, him and some friends came in to the city to see the St. Patrick's Day Parade. Being extreemly drunk, they somehow made their way into the Plaza and found they had to 'take a leak'. So they found a balcony and pee'd off of it on to everyone's parade. Just thought I'd share...












So I walked through Central Park. Here is a cool tunnel I went through which surprisingly, did not smell like pee.












Here is the Bethesda Fountain. Many times there will be musicians or dancers there. You can also rent a rowboat there (no kayaks though)








This cat was real good on the sax. He was playing 'Love for Sale'. I didn't look to see if his girlfriend was around... He got a dollar from me.












These guys were ok too (and got another dollar) I wish I had the nerve to play in the park (hell, I wish I had the nerve to dress like them!) I should do it one day as a goof and see if I can make a buck or two.












What can I say? Strawberry Fields Forever...








Back home until next week....












I must say, taking these pictures really made the day seem like fun. I have to try something else some other time. Hope you enjoyed it.

13 comments:

dot said...

I wish I lived in New York. I visited when I was 18. I loved it.

Thanks for sharing your day.

If you don't mind my asking, does it bother you to have a "port" in your side? Does it hurt, or itch or anything? You don't have to answer if you don't want.

Pennie said...

Great idea! I loved the pic's. We haven't been in NYC for a long time. Maybe after Carl's surgery we will get a chance to visit our friends in Edison.
Stay strong and focused!

Chloe said...

Heated awnings? Well now I've heard it all!

Great pics, Phil.

Phil said...

Paula, The 'port' is a little bit below my colarbone. That's not too bad, I really don't notice it anymore. It makes the chemo's easier. Otherwise they have to use veins in the hand or arm and the drugs are caustic so they tend to 'fry' the veins after a while and make them collapse. The other thing I have is a hepatic pump which is in my left side under my ribcage. That is about the size of a Big Mac. I guess I'm used to it, but if I bump it on something, it smarts.

Pennie, thanks for visiting. I'll visit your site too. Best of luck, sending healing energy to your family.

Chloe, Yes, the Upper East Side has it all. They also have these really good hard candies all over inside the building, plus free coffee, juice and pretzels.

dot said...

Phil,

Ouch! That hepatic pump sounds horrible.

That dude Paul said...

Phil,
Another great post. I needed to read something like this today.

I've got a summer cold and have been whining all day about "how bad I feel". Your post got me out of myself and put things into perspective for me. But then again, thats why I started keeping up with your blogs to start with.

Thanks again man...

SquirrleyMojo said...

Fantastic!

What a neat idea. I especially liked your pic of the tall buildings & clear blue sky (the tunnel was good too & I am glad it didn't smell like pee).

Thanks for the trip.

Wendy said...

Awesome! this came out great! I was wondering if you were going to get the shots at the medical center. They are very picky about stuff like that. Very nice fun post on what could be a not so fun day. :)

mr. schprock said...

"I really felt like having some melons for breakfast…"

You are priceless, my friend.

I really want to say thanks for this post. I felt like a spent the day with you and got a better idea as to who you are and what it's like to be enroute to recovering from cancer. Awesome job!

Beth said...

I came here off of Mr. Schprock's blog and am so glad I did. What a wonderful glimpse of your day and your fight.

Scott said...

Man, I am sorry you have to go through this. My mom went through the whole thing and it isn't pretty. Fight hard.

fakies said...

Glad to see you were able to make the best of your day. Great pics!

John said...

I don't think hugging another man makes you gay, Henry. Unless you don't have any pants on.

Great pictures, Phil, and even though everyone's already said it, keep fightning. Better yet, throw on a Mexican wrestling mask, step into the ring and kick that cancer's ass! See, nobody's said that yet.

Post a Comment