After last weeks photo post, I don't think I can top that. I did have no trouble getting into the city today, and I drove in with the 1996 Camary that we just got. It has AC that works and a radio that works and a mear 120,000 miles on it compared to my Volvo that has 278, 000. I left the housr at 5:30 am and got to SK by 7 am. On the elevator, I saw the surgeon that de-livered me back in September 2004. He remembered me, that made me feel good. He is a good guy, one of the best in his field. He was sorry to see that I was back in treatment. He asked me if I've seen the colon surgeon I had, Dr. Weiser. I thought he asked me if I was wiser. On the menu here today is my weekly Erbitux (1 hour), my every other week dose of CPT11(1 hour) which will cause major stomach issues for about 4-5 days, and the special of the day-a refill on my heptic pump.


I am no longer getting chemo in this pump, but it must stay inside of me for a minimum of two years. It does have to be reilled with an inert solution so it does not dry out in case I need it again. The greatest chance of recurrance is in the first two years. Once the pump is taken out, it can not be put back in.
So when I am finished in NYC, by noon I hope, I have to go to the DMV to register my car. Somehow, I think that the chemo will be the best part of my day...
9 comments:
Thanks for the picture of the pump. I was wondering what it looked like.
The CPT makes you feel worse than the Erbitux...at least it's every other week instead of once a week.
I can't believe you had 278,000 miles on your Volvo! That sounds like one for the record books.
The last line was very funny. A one day trip to the DMV can spoil the entire week.
I hope the CPT doesn't hit you as hard this week as it did last week.
OUCH! Slam on the DMV!
Yowsers! Go Phil!
Just wondering--why couldn't it be replaced?
Thanks Paula ;-)
Squirrley, if it removed it leaves scar tissue so it couldn't go back in the same spot. Plus they would have to run the catheter back into the liver and I think that's a major problem.
Wow, two years. I had no idea that the medicine involved in this is so complicated. Thanks for sharing your experiences and teaching us.
Do any truly kind, knowledgeable people work at the DMV? Anyone? Do you blog? Step forward at once!
I had a catheter once, but not in my liver . . .
Sorry to hear that Squirrley, I can imagine where it was. I had a similar one too, different apendage. The rough part was that they did it while I was awake without any 'foreplay'. I also had the tube stuffed up my nose, then down my throat and into my stomach for about 10 days (while awake) A practicing Doctor also was futzing with it one night and it started to come up and I coughed it out my mouth so she had to start all over again. Yuk!!!
"…and it started to come up and I coughed it out my mouth so she had to start all over again."
(shivers)
Thanks for providing graphics of the pump. It's fascinating.
Post a Comment