Thursday, April 20, 2006

A Few Days Left...

So here's my scars and the inside of me showing my pump. I have finished the treatments as far as the pump goes, but that will stay inside of me for another 4 years or so. I never in a million years thought that I would go under the knife for anything. I've always been on the healthy side. I did smoke cigarettes and a ton of pot in my day, but I also used to do a lot of bike riding. I took two big trips up through NY state, each one about 700 miles round trip. I was a big tennis player too. One thing leads to another and you get married and have kids and the exercise slows down. Still, I always managed to get out hiking or something. Two summers ago I discovered kayaking and went 81 days in a row to prepare for my first surgery. Now, I kind of don't know what to do to prepare. I'm not going to be kayaking now. I will squeak in a day or two before Monday, but the surgery will put an end to that for the time being. It will be a good incentive to get better fast. I love being out on the lake. Now, I'm just trying to immerse myself in work and taking percocets like M&Ms. I want to just mellow out for now or else I'll be a nutcase. I'm getting an I-Pod today too, the 2 gig Nano. I decided to treat myself. I talked to Dana and without hesitation she said 'go for it'. She's a great person, wife, lover (bad cook). You can't have everything can you? Why do I still get strong feelings for other women? I think a lot of it comes from the situation that I am in, other times I just think I'm an idiot. Being faced with cancer does make one do odd things and look at other things in a different light. I started to think last night while trying to get to sleep how they are going to be cutting me in my ribs (4-5 inch cut) then spreading the ribs and going in and removing all of these lymph nodes and cutting out the last tumor. I never realized we had so many 'spare' parts in us that are really not needed. I tend to think we do need them, but they are defective now so they are no good to me. I don't know what to expect with losing more lymph nodes. I think they are important for the immune system, but I've been sick only once or twice in teh pst two years so go figure. I must get back to work now. I do hope to maybe do a video post before all of this happens.

One thing that sucks that I've come to realize is that I don't think I will ever be 'cured' of cancer. I used to think I would be. Now I think it will be a chronic condition that I will have to manage. Not too bad, It could be worse.
-p

2 comments:

Kayla said...

Oh, Phil, I would love for you to do a video post!
Kudos for buying the I-Pod! Kudos for taking the percocets ;) I know from personal experience that they perk up your attitude as well.
Visualize yourself kayaking during your recovery...the peacefulness of the lake and those beautiful sunsets will soothe your soul.
Thinking about you lots, Phil :)
Sending positive energy your way

dot said...

{{{{{Phil}}}}}

xoxo

Paula

Post a Comment