Yes Phillie, there is a Santa Claus. I had both tubes taken out this morning. I was just getting ready to go into the bathroom to freshen up (I can't shower for another 2 days) then the Doctor comes in. She asked if I wanted to wait to have it done, which I did not want to wait. She then proceeded to take out the chest drainage tube. That sucker hurt while it was in there and when they took it out, it was the strangest sensation and it was rather painful too. They do have you take a few deep breaths first, then they pull it out in one full swoop. It's like taking off a bandaid or diving into cold water. You just have to do it. It feels much better now that it is out. I still have pain and I can't take a full breath without pain, but in the scope of things, it isn't bad.
Then, I had ordered breakfast and then went to get cleaned up. My food gets there 45 minutes later (as usual) and just as I'm ready to start to eat, some gguy comes in and tells me I need to go for an x-ray. I get one taken every day so they can monitor my lungs. They have you wait in a smalll room, about 6 of us, all in wheelchairs. Some people you can tell are really in bad shape. Others, like me, look fairly healthy. It just goes to show you that you never know. I get wheeled in and they take two shots. One is a portrait and the other is a side profile. It takes about one minute to take the shots. Then you go back and wait until someone comes and gets you. This always takes a long time. Finally, they get you and bring you back. I get all settled in and my nurse, Steve, comes in and asks if I want to have the catherter out or should I finish breakfast. I wanted that one out so bad. I think the only reason I had it in was because they want to monitor how much fluid is coming out of you. So, him being a guy he is more sensitive to the male anatomy than the averrage female nurse. I know I'm making an assumption and the other times I've had it done by female nurses they were gentle too. So that is taken out rather slowly. It's a very strange feeling. Now I have 8 hours to produce or they will have to stick it back in me. A good motivator.
So now I'm on oral painkillers (percocets) instead of the IV stuff. I think they will work fine. My sister and her husband came by last night for a few hours and Dana is planning on coming in this afternoon or early evening. I am supposed to get discharged so I'm even wondering if it would make more sense to have Dana come in tomorrow instead and then drive me home. I'm supposed to keep walking around so I bettter get cracking. Speaking of that, Boo, I tried to take a picture of my half assed gown with my camera phone for HNT, but it was not pretty.
xo-phil
6 comments:
Hi Phil,
Yay! 2 tubes out in one morning...I'd say that was a productive day. So the pressure is on to "produce". I had to laugh, being reminded of your pressure to "produce" in a different manner after your colon surgery. ;)
Glad to hear you are progressing so well! Many continuing well wishes to you my friend.
BTW,
A photo of your half assed hospital gowned self not pretty??
I beg to differ ;)
Yay! Glad the catheters are out.
I think we should see the HNT photo, I'm sure it would be a classic.
You sound good, Phil.
Hi Phil,
I had to change my blog address.
You should be able to click on this profile photo and get there.
"www.kaylaslittleworld.blogspot.com"
Hope you are sleeping soundly right now...
Take care my friend
i demand an ass shot. i bet its schweet :) u sound well, great, handsome & humorous like the phillie i love {{hugs}}
It looks like I may have to hire a 'stunt ass' because mine is cracked.
So you are back to being a tubeless guy ;) Great!!
It is good to read about your progress and you still haven’t lost your great sense of humor judging by your comment. I’ll bet you’ll be going home soon!
Take care {{Phil}}
Post a Comment