Poll: Iraqis back attacks on U.S. troops
About six in 10 Iraqis say they approve of attacks on U.S.-led forces, and slightly more than that want their government to ask U.S. troops to leave within a year, according to a poll in that country...
Bittersweet Boom
The Rush For Oil Floods Wyoming With Jobs, But Is It Also Spoiling The Land?
...Owning a split estate didn't much concern Wyoming ranchers until the current oil boom. "Many landowners didn't even know they owned split estates--until the oilman showed up at their door," says Morrison, who lives in the mineral-rich Powder River Basin in the north. Two years ago, two energy companies notified her friend Steve Adami of their intent to drill on his 5,000 acres in Buffalo. When he refused, they simply "bonded on"--the energy companies' practice of posting a bond required by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), after which they can legally exercise their leased mineral rights. The size of the bond posted for use of 1,280 acres: $2,176, of which Adami has not seen a penny. "To get the money, I have to sue," says Adami, 51, whose ancestors were Wyoming sharecroppers. "That won't even cover my attorney's fees." He seethes at the 16 wells and miles of trenches that render a large parcel of his land unsuitable for grazing his 180 head of cattle....
The bureau, a division of the Department of the Interior, leases the rights by auction to such energy producers as BP America and Anadarko. But state officials say the agency is handing out leases too quickly, favoring the interests of oil and gas companies over those of citizens. (Many point out that Halliburton--former employer of native son Dick Cheney--is a major player in oil-field services.) Urged by the Bush Administration, the bureau approved four times as many applications to drill on public lands in five Western states in fiscal 2004 as it did five years earlier...
I'm pissed today and didn't know where to post. I won't get into it here so I'll attack another fav of mine, Mr Ruin the Planet - Bush. I feel so unsafe with having that jerk calling the shots. the world is such an unsaafe place thanks to him. And it's all about the OIL. So enough for now, I need to get to work.
No comments:
Post a Comment