Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Not as Bad as I feared (so far)

So here I am at work yesterday. My friend Karen took this picture with my digital camera. She's teaching a course on Digital Photography at a local college. She's quite the photog, and of course, I'm the ultimate subject. So I cut my hair short and I think it scared the rest of it and it seems to have slowed down with falling out. Time will tell but it's not as bad as I thought it might be. Dana says I look like a coach :-)
(or was it a couch?)
I don't know why I'm joking, I'm in so much pain now with stomach cramps. Thank GOD I'm able to take some FML (Family Medical Leave) days this week. It was very good news that this was an option for me. OK, back to being miserable. I just took two percocets, a xanax and a phenobarbital. Guess what? Still hurting. They did a MAJOR toe job on me Monday too. It's not been well for about 10 months or so. The drug, erbitux, that I am on has something to do with epidermal growth factors or some shit. What the bottom line is that I have developed an ingrown toenail which would normally be a piece of cake to fix. This, however, gets stuck in a vicious cycle where it keeps getting infected and the skin keeps growing back under the nail. We are trying a different approach by taping a Q-tip on the edge of the nail to keep that skin away from the nail. The complication came when the Doctor had to numb the area via a needle. Now mind you, the skin there is so sensitive to the touch anyway, so having a needle stuck in it was so fucking incredible, it was a new level of pain. the worst part was that I had to sit there an wait for them to come back in to do the procedure. I still can't believe how much it hurt at the time. The good news is that it seems to be a little better. I also have to do yet another round of anti-biotics. At least this should all clear up when I'm done with the chemo in about 12 more weeks.
So that's the story.

3 comments:

Kayla said...

Hi Phil,
Nice to see you with the new haircut and in your professional clothes :-)
Very handsome.
And your haircut does kind of make you look like a football coach!
Of course, if Dana said "couch" instead, you could respond with
"Well, come on over and lie on me!"

b o o said...

bootiful man {{phillie}}

Chloe said...

Love the new look! Good luck with the pain, my dear.

Post a Comment