Here's the story. My scan appears ok. There had been some spots on lungs that they are not sure what they are. It may be scar tissue, it may not be. Since my toe is still a problem, they have decided to give me two weeks off (for good behaviour) then resume treatment every two weeks instead of every week. The chemo can become ineffective after a while so they (Onc) feel that lowering my doseage and skipping a week and still getting scans every two months is the best way to go at this point. I don't really see things changing much for the future. I think this is going to be something I will have to manage from now on. My hope is that I will continue to ride the crest of the wave of cancer research and stay ahead of it.
So that's the scoop.
Somehow I knew this was going to be the story. I was talking with Dana about this and I said that I know I didn't will this to happen, but I certainly called it. I knew I'd get near the end of treatment and they'd go "Well...there seems to be something we don't really know what it is so we have to continue treatment...blah, blah, blah" This happened last year after the liver was worked on. There were some spots on my my lungs back then that were probably nothing but... So after I stoped chemo for a few weeks, they found out that the spots were indeed something (tumors) and I started the year plus treatment of that issue. So is the glass half full or half empty? I think it's a glass of piss personally. I don't see an end in sight, I feel I will be in treatment managing this condition forever. Surprising, I'm not as bummed as I figured I would be. I guess I'm just thrilled I won't be throwing up on my birthday this week. Two weeks off may not sound like much, but when you've been dealing with this shit for over 2 1/2 years it IS a big deal. I won't have cramps for two weeks and maybe my foot might get better so I can put it in a shoe. Well, I doubt that will happen but maybe it will get a bit better. I had to cut the toe area out of a pair of sneakers so I can cut the lawn. I had been cramming my foot into a sneaker but I couldn't take the pain of that anymore so I cut the shoe.
Anyway, the thing with cancer is that it is really never over. Once you have it, you're fucked. It is always in the back of your mind that it will resurface even if they give you the clean bill of health. Some lesser cancers caught early may give you the ability to be cured. I'm really fucking lucky to be here now. If I followed my first Doctor's advice, I'm sure I'd be dead by now. I just really hope that at some point, I can be off treatment for an extended amount of time and sort of have a normal life and not be doing the chemo and have all of these issues anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment