Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll

Now that I have your attention, I'll start my post. I haven't been posting as much as I used to. Part of me feels that I want to draw my focus off of the cancer/chemo and just ride it out. It's not that the side effects are easier, it's just that I've done this 65 times. It's fucking boring. When I first went on chemo, I had a different regimine. It was an every two week deal. I would go on a Friday, get many hours of stuff (4 I think, I have probably blocked it out) then I was hooked up to a little pump about the size of an old walkman tape player. That had a bag of meds that was pumped a little at a time for two days. I had the needle in my port that is in my upper chest. At first, they gave me a bag to hold the pump and the meds that was big enough for a loaf of bread, It was huge. Then I was able to fit it into a nice fanny pack and no one really knew I was on chemo. Then, on Sundays, a nurse would come up to the house and needless to say, our clothes were off and ... oh wait, wrong story. Right, the nurse would come up and remove the needle and flush my port blah, blah, blah. Fuck, all I'm doing is talking about chemo. Ok, so now I'm drinking a Saranac Mountain Ale and it is hitting the spot. I also took a few percocets earlier and just finished smoking a little nausea medicine (wink). I feel good. Monday I go for the double dose and I won't feel good so WTF I say. I was reading part of an article in The New Yorker about Timothy Leary, the LSD guy. I've done LSD many times. I probably did more chemos though and LSD is WAY more fun. The last time I did it was probably about 20 years ago when I was 28. I was an avid mountain biker at the time. I didn't race or anything like that but I would ride every weekend. My buddy Henry and I drove to NH and biked up Mt Washington which is the tallest mountain in the NE United States. Also, the highest wind speed recorded ON THE ENTIRE PLANET was recorded there. 233 MPH. We also biked up Mt Mansfield which is the tallest mountain in VT. Both of these mountains had roads but still, it was a fucking climb. The bottom photo is me (far left - in more ways than one) with some friends while we were on acid for the last time. Me had made Spanish Omelets with psilocybin mushrooms in them. I enjoyed them a lot. So anyway I got to thinking that if I had the chance to do the shrooms as we used to say, I most likely would do them even (adn especially) since I have cancer. I'm not afraid of my age being a factor with the shrooms, it was always a nice mellow high. I have been feeling very connected to that cosmic consciousness as of late. Yeah, I know, it's the pot, percocets and beer. Be that as it may, I have been connected. I'll leave it at that. This has been going on for well over two years. I don't see any shrooms in my future because I know no one who is into that and I would not seek them out. I do think I would enjoy it a lot but I'll probably never find that out...

On top of Mt Washington in August

On Mt Mansfield

In the woods back in the day

Ripping at Mohonk NY

3 comments:

Christy said...

Hey Phil,

I've pondered that thought, about what if it comes back in a year, am I going to be satisified with myself knowing I did everything I could to get rid of it? Well my answer is yes, I will be fine, because mine cancer is genetic and I've come to the conclusion there isn't anything I can do about my genes. Chemo wears me down more than I ever ever ever thought it would. I have every side affect known to man, and on top of that menopause to come? Not to mention, the allergic reaction, that only 1% of the population has? I mean I've had my entire large intestine removed when I could have just had a ressection. I feel I've done my part, as much as I can. I am going to try a new diet as well. However, my line still remains the same to the docs-this is genetic for me, what can do you do about my DNA? There is answer is nothing. I am not giving up, I just don't want to be sick day in and day out, I'd rather have three good days then six bad ones. Cancer does suck, but it's made me who I am, and made me realize a lot of shit. I think I am going to write a book, called My Cancer, My Friend. I have this new found feeling about life and how I want to live it because of Cancer. I know all of us go through these emotions I am sure. Well I will stop ranting. Regarding Mary Jane, my sister woudl love for me to join her on that, she's got a $400 a month habit.

Phil said...

Christy, I know how you feel about the chemo and cancer and all of that. I'm not trying to give a lecture. Mines not genetic, just bad luck. I have changed my diet too to lean more on the organic healthy side. Yeah, the down side of the MJ is if you abuse it. Mine is $25 for about 2 months worth.
I like my footer comment
"If it weren't for cancer, I'd say I have the perfect life. If it weren't for cancer, would I even realize this?"
Parts of it I wouldn't give up for anything. I feel more alive than I did before. Hang in there, you're in my thoughts. Thanks for stopping by

NINANINA said...

Regarding the pic of you and the bike.... I tell myself "that's my Phil". I have SUCH fond memories of you riding up that hill (Vreeland ave was it ????) - Did I live on center street -
- Memories of me putting bass ales under the maibox along with a note, so you'd have something to look forward to after working at unified assholes. It was 27 years go!!
YOU were a GREAT boyfriend.
love NINA

Post a Comment